homeaboutjourneyinspirekitchencontact

June 16, 2015

Feeding the Baby


One question that has come up when talking about our surrogacy journey, is how we plan to feed the baby. Well, let's rewind. I don't exactly hear questions until I mention how I plan to feed the baby. I thought it might be helpful to post about it here in hopes of helping someone else who is in the same boat!

First, I'll just say that this is just our plan, and I understand and respect that everyone has a different path when feeding their little one.

Prior to researching gestational surrogacy, I didn't know that breastfeeding would be an option for me. It was always something I had hoped to do, but I just assumed I'd have to let it go in our case. As it turns out, it is actually very much an option!

With something called induced lactation, it is possible for mommies like me to breastfeed. Basically, it's one of those things where you don't know how much you'll produce, but I figured if I could provide any at all, it will be worth it. After doing lots of research and talking with an American mom from our clinic in India (who is currently having success with feeding her twins through induced lactation), I felt really encouraged.

So, to answer the question "how is that possible?,"I met with a lactation consultant yesterday and we made a plan. There are some variations on this, but here's what I'm going to try:

+I am starting by pumping twice daily for two weeks, and sipping on raspberry leaf and nettles tea twice a day. (I began this yesterday)

+We will gradually increase the frequency of pumping, adding in different herbs and one medication until it is about 8 times a day before the baby is born.

+Once the baby is here, I will try a combination of breastfeeding and pumping, and we will be prepared to supplement with formula, as needed. For that, I think we will use Honest.

+The hope is that my supply will catch up and keep up once we get into a routine. I know even for moms who carry, breastfeeding can be a real struggle. So, I'm expecting it to be a challenge, but one I'm willing to take!

+When we come home, if I'm not able to supply enough, then we plan to supplement with donated breastmilk from a generous friend who has graciously offered hers. It just continues to show that it takes a village!

That's the plan! It feels really good to be able to prepare in this way, and I'm excited to begin this chapter of our story. If you have any tips about what worked for you, or any questions about this, please let me know! I'll also update along the way. Hope you're having a happy Tuesday!

2 comments:

Bernie Kringel said...

I hope this is successful for you Margot. I had a friend who tried so very hard to make this work but she couldn't. Hoping you are able to experience breastfeeding your little one, even if not as the exclusive method of feeding. How awesome that you have a friend who can donate some milk as well. :-)

Tess said...

It's amazing that this is an option and it sounds like you have an amazing back up if you need it! Keep us posted on how it goes!

Post a Comment

 
Content © Margot G. All Rights Reserved | Design © 2011 Laura Jane Designs
Unauthorized use of this site's design or code is strictly prohibited.