homeaboutjourneyinspirekitchencontact

September 25, 2011

Hello, Pumpkin!


Now that it is {officially} autumn, I could hardly wait to try out a new pumpkin recipe. The hubby and I are gearing up for our big wedding anniversary tomorrow {number two} so we decided to celebrate over the weekend and also on the actual day to stretch out the joy. You may or may not know this about me yet, but I am big on celebrating events on the actual date. So, hubby knows that while it is perfectly fine {and actually encouraged} to celebrate my birthday over the course of a week {or month}, we had better do something special on the actual day, too. Call me high maintenance, but I've always been weird quirky that way.

With that said, we've decided to cook a fun meal tonight, and we'll go out to dinner tomorrow {on the actual day}. We started the tradition last year of trying a new and somewhat complicated recipe. Last year it was seared tuna with paprika crust, and this year it is crabcakes with autumn roasted vegetables. I know it will be delicious so I will be sure to post the new recipes a.s.a.p.!

SO, in the spirit of trying new recipes today, I couldn't wait to make these yummy cookies. The kitchen smells divine and hubby has a smile on his face. I hope you enjoy these ooey, gooey and believe-it-or-not, skinny pumpkin cookies!




Pumpkin Spiced Oatmeal and Chocolate Cookies
Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
2 cups quick oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup unpacked brown sugar
1 large egg
6 tbsp canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup chopped pecans
*1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
{I thought chocolate would only make these more delicious, so I added them}

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°; line two baking sheets with parchment paper or use a silpat.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin spice and cinnamon. In a large bowl, with a mixer, cream together the butter and the sugars on medium speed.

Add the egg, followed by the pumpkin and vanilla extract.

Working by hand, stir in the flour mixture and the oats until just combined and no streaks of flour remain; stir in the pecans and chocolate chips.

Drop 1 tablespoon of the dough at a time onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until cookies become light brown at the edges.
Cool on baking sheet for 3 or 4 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes about 36 cookies.

original recipe can be found here



3 comments:

Running 365 said...

I was planning to make pumpkin cookies tonight and then I checked your blog and saw this. I had never thought to put oatmeal into pumpkin cookies (even though I put oatmeal in everything else...) but I whipped out my big container of oats and just made these cookies! They are so good! I ended up doubling the recipe so I could justify using a whole can of pumpkin and I used whole wheat flour and no pecans (because I was too lazy to chop up the pecans we have) but they are really good! Thanks for sharing!

Margot said...

yum! I'm so glad you tried them and loved them. I don't think you can go wrong when pumpkin is involved. :) Love reading your blog, too! :)

Vanessa Coppa said...

Cookies look fabulous! I've never tried pumpkin cookies, but I can smell them in my mind.

Post a Comment

 
Content © Margot G. All Rights Reserved | Design © 2011 Laura Jane Designs
Unauthorized use of this site's design or code is strictly prohibited.