homeaboutjourneyinspirekitchencontact

February 28, 2014

Five on Friday!

It's Friday! I'm excited to link up with April, Christina, Darci and Natasha for another Five on Friday.

{one}
It's the last day of February, which also means it is the one year birthday of our sweet little niece, Honora! Happy Birthday, pretty girl! We love you and wish we could be out in California to celebrate with you!
 
{two}
The end of February also means that tomorrow is March 1st. It remains a very special day to us because it is the day we found out that we were parents. I wrote about it here. I will never forget that day and the immeasurable joy brought to our lives by our precious baby boys. Every part of our journey is not as sweet, but that day sure was.
{three}
Our friends, Danielle and Brent, sweetly gifted us with this candle and some other goodies from Charlotte when they came to visit. Oh my word--it smells amazing! And, the pottery base can be reused as something else when you burn the candle down. I love how big it is and I've had it burning constantly. If you see one out and about, be sure to pick one up!
 
{four}
I tried a Salmon Niçoise salad at Nordstrom Café when I was back in NC, and I've been dreaming about it ever since. I was so excited to finally make one this week! I adapted a recipe from a few different sources, and omitted the eggs and olives because TJ doesn't care for them.  And honestly, I didn't miss them because the salad was so packed with other goodness! I need to be so much better about taking "during" pictures and not just before and after, but hopefully you'll get the idea and try this easy and delicious salad yourself!
I don't know what happened, but this salmon was the best I've ever made. Salmon is tough and it's hard to get it right. I feel like this was the perfect combination.
*Heat oven to broil
*On a foil lined baking sheet, simply place some real butter, rosemary, salt and pepper on your salmon filets. Drizzle with olive oil.
* Pop it in the oven for 12 minutes, or until it flakes with a fork.

I actually cheated a little and had made the asparagus and potatoes the night before to and ate with a chicken dish, but I did so knowing I wanted to use leftovers for our this salad. Just use what you have. It'll work!
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
For the asparagus, I tried butter, shredded cheese (I used a gruyere/cheddar blend) and salt/pepper.
 
Drizzle sliced potatoes (I used a medley from Trader Joe's but you could use any type!) with olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary. (Or any herb you prefer/have on hand)

Pop the potatoes in first. Bake for 10 minutes, turn potatoes, and put the asparagus in. Bake for another 8-10 minutes and you're done! (Don't be like me and forget to turn the potatoes, otherwise you might have ones that are a bit too crispy!)
 
I steamed the string beans for 3 minutes, then drained and rinsed with cold water. Season as you'd like to those.
 
Meanwhile, I made a simple dressing:
juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/3 cup olive oil
extra rosemary that I had from the salmon/potatoes
honey, to taste
salt and pepper
 
I put it all together and drizzled with the dressing. It was delicious!
(I feel like I'm really wordy with explaining steps taken to make this recipe. I promise it was easy!)

{five}
We had the BEST time seeing Wicked on Saturday! We were both very excited because we hadn't seen it before and it felt like a very "New York" date. We began by going to a fancy Mexican restaurant (I could eat guacamole everyday, and sometimes do). We realized it was National Margarita Day (hello--don't have to tell me twice) so of course we had to try some fun margaritas to start off our date.
 
 
We had a fun meal that included guacamole (of course) and then we shared a variety of tacos which included lobster, fish and chicken. So good!
 
We were so impressed by this show. The singing and set and actors were all incredible. Loved it!
 
Our weekend also consisted of spending as much time as possible outside. I am loving that it's staying light later and that it was warm enough to be outside without a big coat. This weekend, it's a different weather story (please go away, snow) but we're all hoping the warmer weather will come back to stay shortly.
 

 
Enjoy your weekend and thank you so much for stopping by!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Content © Margot G. All Rights Reserved | Design © 2011 Laura Jane Designs
Unauthorized use of this site's design or code is strictly prohibited.